22 May 2007

Starving Student Strobist Kit

Well, today was the big day! My Starving Student Strobist Kit (SN2) arrived today via UPS! It's looking like good times ahead! And many thanks to Midwest Photo Exchange for providing quality equipment to the starving masses. Getting it all set up was a snap and the only thing I have remaining to do is get some adhesive Velcro to jury-rig attachments on my flash for the Color Correction Gels.

Next up in the mail are my triggers! I realized that I just got the flash kit and whatnot, but the cable is already starting to get on my nerves having nearly tripped over it a couple of times. Life can be a drag when you wear a 14 4E shoe. Never the less, I picked up a pair of receivers and a transmitter from Gadget Infinity. Also may be referred to as the "eBay Triggers." These are Version 2 (Cactus) and are supposedly more reliable over all as well as with Canon Brand Flashes, which I just so happen to have. In addition, I also snagged a wireless shutter release for my Rebel XT (350D). I figured it would come in handy when I don't have a stand-in for setting up a portrait shot. Evidently, it works on the same frequencies as the 16 channel and 4 channel wireless flash triggers and, as such, can trigger them as well. It's a bit more convenient than the standard Canon Infrared Wireless Remote in that it doesn't require line of sight, has a 30 foot range, can "half press" to activate auto focus and can operate in bulb mode.

In any case! More reviews and whatnot when the equipment arrives! Coming up next (at a more earthly hour) will be my first test shots with the new equipment

No comments: